Thursday, December 20, 2007

Kids' World 2007

Yesterday was the last day of kidsworld. Being one of the GLs of this camp, I have to take care of a group of volunteers and a group of kids. When the kids arrived, they were so shy and quiet. They said out their names softly and sat there quietly. After a few rounds of ice breaker, they finally show their truth colours. They were all so playful and rowdy, shouting and screaming now and then.

There was this twins sister in my group and they are super hyper-active. They will run about and I have to run and catch them all the time. They will go around beating people and will even kick people when they offended them. Nobody in my group wants to take care of them and so, I have to take care of them. They will sit on my lap, ask me to go toilet with them, ask me to carry them, hold my hand and want me to follow them around. Though naughty, some of their actions seriously touched me. Afraid that I will be hungry, they will give their food to me. During the buffet, one of them came to me and ask me to go and get food. Thinking that she wants more, I told her to follow me to choose the food she wants. In the end, she said that she wants me to get the food cos she knows that I haven eaten. All these small little actions really touch my heart.

At the end of the camp, the two of them ask me whether they will be seeing me again. I told them we will not. They look at me and said "huh. I will miss you and i like you". Thats when my heart melted and tears started to roll down. All the tiredness, hardwork, frustration are all gone. Seeing the smiles on each and every kids faces, i know that i didnt wasted my 3 days of hols.

Someone once told me that doing such volunteering work are kind of useless as what they need most is money. He would rather give them cash than to do such things. After this camp, I realised that they are wrong. Money are important but they are not everything. You can give them money but can you give them forever? Memories are with you forever. Since we cant afford to give them money now as we are still studying, why not give them memories that they can look back on.

I derive happiness from seeing their innocent faces and smiles. They have left another story in my life.

Though i know you kids wont be reading this, i sincerely wish that all of you will grow up to be man and women worthy of god and man. I love all of you too and i will miss you..Stay happy always...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home